Thoughts from the employees and customers of Katy Budget BooksAsk the bookseller We want to hear your book-related thoughts
If you happen to be local, here are the things we have coming up in store:
- Tues. April 22, 7 - 8 pm: I’ll Take Romance Book Club discusses The Cottage on Juniper Ridge by Sheila Roberts.
- Thurs. April 24 - Sun. May 11: Our big semiannual sale is back! Over the course of two and a half weeks, we’ll have over 75,000 overstock used books for $1 or less. It’s a great time to pick up a new author you’ve been wanting to try or just to stumble across someone you haven’t heard of before!
- Tues. April 29, 6 -8 pm: Celebrate the launch of How to Seduce a Vampire (Without Really Trying) with author Kerrelyn Sparks! We’re hosting a dinner to mark the event at Rocco’s Italian Restaurant, just down the road. Tickets are $35, and include the book as well as dinner. You can purchase them here.
- Thurs. May 1, 7 - 8 pm: Mystery Matters Book Club discusses Gone by Randy Wayne White.
- Wed. May 14, 7 - 8 pm: Shadow Pages Book Club discusses Cinder by Marissa Meyer.
- Wed. May 21, 7 - 8 pm: Young Adult Book Club discusses Going Vintage by Lindsay Leavitt.
- Thurs. May 22, 6 - 8 pm: Local lawyer-turned-author Melanie Bragg signs her legal novel, Crosstown Park.
Except for during the sale, we have storytime for the little ones every Wednesday at 10 am!
Also, keep an eye out in June for these authors appearing in store: Jaime Lee Moyer, Mary Kay Andrews, and KA Tucker!
Happy book birthday to:
- Frozen by Erin Bowman: The second book in Erin Bowman’s gripping dystopian sci-fi series, this exhilarating sequel to Taken is perfect for fans of Incarceron by Catherine Fisher and Variant by Robison Wells. Gray Weathersby has escaped Claysoot and uncovered the truth behind the Laicos Project and the Order’s twisted plans. Determined to fight back, his small group of rebels is on the hunt for more answers and more allies—a search that will take them on a harrowing journey across a frozen wasteland, and even deeper into a world built on the Order’s lies. In Frozen, discover more of the nonstop action and riveting plot twists that made Marie Lu, New York Times bestselling author of the Legend trilogy, call Taken ”an action-packed thrill ride from beginning to end.”
- A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani: Magic and romance battle each other in this much anticipated sequel to the New York Times bestselling novel The School for Good and Evil. Best friends Sophie and Agatha return to the spectacular world where the only way out of a fairy tale is to live through one. Together, they have the strength to face unseen enemies and new threats. But what will happen when they are torn apart?
- The Collector by Nora Roberts: When professional house-sitter Lila Emerson witnesses a murder/suicide from her current apartment-sitting job, life as she knows it takes a dramatic turn. Suddenly, the woman with no permanent ties finds herself almost wishing for one… . Artist Ashton Archer knows his brother isn’t capable of violence—against himself or others. He recruits Lila, the only eyewitness, to help him uncover what happened. Ash longs to paint her as intensely as he hungers to touch her. But their investigation draws them into a rarified circle where priceless antiques are bought, sold, gambled away, and stolen, where what you possess is who you are, and where what you desire becomes a deadly obsession… .
- Far Gone by Laura Griffin: To save her only brother, Andrea Finch must face down a criminal mastermind, the FBI, and her own demons in this thrilling novel from the author of the bestselling Tracers series. Police detective Andrea Finch is a rising star in her department until a split-second decision derails her career. Disgraced and disillusioned, she’s on leave from her job when she gets an urgent call from her younger brother. She’d prefer to ignore his latest plea for cash, but this time instinct tells her something is very wrong. Andrea’s search for answers takes her to a dusty Texas border town where danger lurks in plain sight and nothing is quite what it seems. FBI agent Jon North is working undercover in west Texas investigating an unsolved murder that may be linked to a broader plot. But when the evidence points to Andrea’s brother, Jon finds that persuading the stubborn cop to help will be harder than cracking his toughest case. Andrea must find a way to do what’s right while protecting her only sibling. As the clock ticks down on a deadly plot, Andrea and Jon race to confront a heartless killer who will stop at nothing to deliver a final, terrifying message.
Today, Thomas Jefferson would be really, really old. I don’t even want to do the math, because I’m a word person. But here are some books about him, in case you’re interested: